Our hotel, the Gaylord Texan, is a big hotel property and you are going to cover a lot of ground over the three or four days that you are at the convention. We are encouraging attendees to wear comfortable shoes and sneakers throughout the convention and to help you win some prizes, we've brought back the Pedometer challenge this year and we're going high tech, so it's now called a "STEP CHALLENGE". Every step counts! It's amazing how much walking you can get in without even trying and with a little extra effort you can really put on the miles and burn the calories. Prizes will include an Apple iWatch, Swimmer Headphones and iShuffle, Fitbit, and Nike gift cards.
And unlike other years, we'll be using an app to track your steps using your own device: fitbit, apple watch, smartphone, garmin, you name it and it's supported by this app. So, can you walk 30,000 steps or maybe even 100,000 steps during the convention?
- Watch for an email with a link to the app and details on how to download and sync it with your personal device.
- You can also make a contribution to support the ASLRRA's Education Fund if you choose. A $20 contribution is suggested but not required to participate.
- We will be able to monitor your number of steps on the app and the competition for the overall steps prize will close at midnight on Monday, April 24. This will allow competitors time to sync their devices and allow us to announce the winner on Tuesday, April 25.
- Winners will be announced via the mobile app.
- Winner of the overall challenge will receive a new iPad! Additional prizes will be randomly drawn.
Some tips to get to 100,000 steps during the convention:
- Walk up stairs instead of taking the elevator or escalator.
- Walk the long way to a session. (Every way is a long way at this hotel.)
- Take walking breaks instead of coffee breaks.
- Join on our morning walks and runs to wake up before conference sessions.
- If your next conference session is in the same location or a nearby one, walk to the end of the hallway and back before it starts.
- If someone asks you for directions or where a room is, walk them there instead of just pointing. You might also make a new friend!
- Keep track of your own mileage and set goals for how far you would like to walk before breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bed.